Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Friendliest Stretch of Road Ever & Deep Fried Pickles Revisited

I had my favorite driving experience yet on 85 between Atlanta and Montgomery.  I was going about 90 in the passing lane and this guy came flying up behind me on a harley, long hair blowing in the wind, leather vest, arms covered in tattoos . . . everything a biker should be.  I quickly got out of his way and then pulled out behind him to use him as a pace car/human sacrifice.  The road was pretty open, so with the exception of a few times when traffic forced us to slow down, he just cruised along at about 120-125 for a solid hour with me hanging several car lengths behind following his every move like we were a little synchronized driving team.  Finally, he pulled into the right lane and slowed down for his exit and as I pulled past him, he pumped a rock on hand sign in my direction and I put down my window and flashed one back at him, then he gave me a thumbs up and pulled away down the exit ramp.  Now there was a guy who respected the Cayman S . . . and anyone crazy enough to hang with him on the road.

About 15 minutes later, I passed a trucker who tooted a little song on his horn as I passed.  Thinking he was trying to tell me something (my CB battery was dead), I slowed down until I was right next to him and leaned over so I could see him.  He just gave me a big wave and a thumbs up, so I waved back and took off again thinking this was by far the friendliest stretch of road I had ever been on in my life.  I’m still not sure if the trucker was friends with the biker, liked my car or just got carried away in the spirit of one of the christian radio stations that dominate the airwaves in these parts, playing catchy christian rap songs about loving your neighbor, thanking christ everyday, etc. (They go a little something like this, "I'ma be a daddy who's in da mix, I'ma be a husband who stay legit, uh huh, uh huh, yo, yo" . . . couldn't make it up if I tried).  Yes, indeed, Christianity is big around here.  I was actually thinking about staying at the only B&B in Montgomery to experience a little southern hospitality firsthand, until I pulled up out front and saw the JESUS CHRIST LIVES sign in the front lawn and hit the gas as fast as I could.

As for Montgomery, there wasn't much to do there except drink in the three bars that haven’t gone out of business yet, which was fine with me because I am very good at drinking.  I spent most of the night bar hopping with Willie Nelson III, who not only has a fabulous name, but used to be a chef at Hot and Hot-small world.  Somewhere into my third drink I overheard the guy next to me talking about how great the deep fried pickles were at this bar.  Determined to like deep fried pickles (I think just because they sound like so much fun), I told him about my first deep fried pickle experience in Atlanta and was assured that the pickles at this bar were amazing and nothing like the ones I had in Atlanta.  As usual, by my fourth drink, this guy had me totally convinced and the next thing I knew I was placing my order.  He was so right, the pickles were fabulous-crisp, juicy dill spears, lightly breaded, seemed more baked than fried, not dripping with grease, a little ranch dressing to dip them in-sooo good.  I may be scared of crazy Christian people and mock Christian rap, but when it comes to deep fried pickles, I can truly say that I am a believer.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, but did you get the recipe...? I think you need to plan a road-trip-food-highlights party when you get back!

    ReplyDelete