Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rehoboth Beach to Ocracoke

Started the day in Rehoboth Beach, DE, buzzed through Norfolk, VA to pick up my friend, E, at the Airport, then cruised the length of Cape Hatteras and now ending the day in Ocracoke, NC.  The attached pics are all from Cape Hatteras.  After a quick climb up and over the dunes to the beach, we continued on to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, tallest lighthouse in the country.  On our way back to Rt 12 we got stuck crawling between two “Catfish trucks” as we like to call them (see pic).  Determined to get a picture of one of these trucks, I pulled in behind the one I was following when he pulled in for gas to ask if I could take a picture of his truck.  I asked E how she thought they’d respond, to which she replied, “um, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they shoot you, but just try, why not . . . I’m gonna stay here though.”  Turns out, as soon as I opened my door, all the guys staring at us from the truck, put down their windows and starting shouting to me how great my car was.  I told them I was rather fond of their catfish truck as well.  After Scooter (see pic) showed me the cooler full of “blow toads” and mullets they caught that day, I told them about my trip.   They were very interested to know whether we were going to Gettysburg and whether we were into the civil war.  Regretfully, I had to confess that I had no plans to go to Gettysburg and was not particularly into the civil war.  Good day, time for a drink.







4 comments:

  1. Ketch,

    Have you thought about having this echo'd on the world's largest Porsche Cayman website - www.planet-9.com ? I am the admin of that site and would be happy to help make that possible if you are interested in reaching an audience of fellow Cayman owners. I can be reached at webmaster@planet-9.com

    Good luck on your journey, if you are in the neighborhood (Kansas) say hello!

    Sincerely,
    Ken
    K-Man S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ketch,
    Pretty cool picture....the blowtoads were excellent eating the next day. We refer to the trucks as ORV's and it's decked out with "Hatteras Heavers"...was looking for Red Drum that day, but it was not in the cards. Sea Mullets (aka Kingfish, Roundhead) and Oyster Toads (aka blowtoads) were plentyful though. Getting ready to go back for five more days and hopefully the Drum Gods are with us. Nice to meet you that day and good luck and God Speed in your adventures.

    Cheers,
    Scooter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Scooter! Oh, and thanks for the lingo lesson too, but if it's all the same to you, I will keep calling them "catfish trucks" because it never gets old. We saw a little Honda CRV with a similar rig the next day and both screamed out our "baby catfish" siting. It's nice being so easily entertained . . . especially now that I'm on a budget ;-)

    ReplyDelete